Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

stopped by police with wrong number plate which was registered

Customer Question

stopped by police with wrong number plate which was registered to another car
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I meant to get the plate registered only to find now, too late that it has been reregistered.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Yes I was aware that the plate was not registered. My wife was driving unaware and was pulled by the Police. They have given me until midnight tonight to send the documents before they do anything.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need to know what to do and what will happen. I am due to call the police officer and I want to firstly get my wife out of trouble as she knew nothing and secondly know if they will take the car as threatened and what I could be charged with.

How did it come to bear the wrong plates?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jomo1072
I had promised my wife I had sorted the plates and when I learnt they were already registered I panicked and put th on the car saying it was sorted. Stupid I know but I'm now scared my wife will be in serious trouble and I will be in serious trouble and I might lose my wife if she gets prosecuted.
Thanks. You are anonymous on here.

I just need to know though the extent of the wrongdoing here. Did you fit the plates? Is it a stolen or ringed car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jomo1972
I fitted the plates. The car is owned by me.the car is Mot etc but plates are not the right ones.
What was your intention when you fitted the plates?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jomo1972

I didn't really think it through. I hoped I could buy the number somehow or get a better one register it and tell my wife it was a present. The plates have been on about 3 months and the police were told this by my wife.

I'm just looking up the offence for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jomo1972

Any news? I am sorry to press you but I have promised to call police tonight.

I can't actually find the specific offence that covers this.

I know that displaying incorrect plates though carries a fine and its non endorseable. The maximum fine is £1000.

If they can prove that you fitted the false plate though then that changes the options. That does generally lead to custody although you seem to be saying here that there was no sinister motivation for this. Obviously the problem is that generally people who fit false plates do so to commit other offences.

At this stage they have no evidence that you did fit them but I suppose the problem will be that they can prove the number plates at the time of transfer to you.

There isn't any case against your wife in fitting the plates realistically though.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jomo1972

I am worried by what you mean by custody. Does that mean I could be jailed? As to fitting the plates my wife has already told them I said they were ok to go on. Not sure what I should do. Should I just confess that I didn't mean to cause a problem and that my wife knew nothing and hope they are lenient? There was certainly no sinister motive. Please could you advise?
You can be imprisoned for fitting false plates. Whether a Court would or not is another matter. Quite a lot of the cases do cover people who who were fitting them on a commercial scale.

Your wife is still liable to the fine as the driver because she was displaying false plates but that only carries a fine.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.