tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on traffic law issues.
73598664

My partner had an accident in my car as a named driver on my

Customer Question

My partner had an accident in my car as a named driver on my policy. The accident was deemed to be her fault so a claim was made against her. The insurance company said the fault claim would be logged under her name. When the policy was renewed it had gone up in price £20, which I wasn't too phased about. However, I also own a van as I'm self employed which is insured on a separate policy. This policy was due for renewal 21/10/13 so as usual I spent some time searching for the cheapest quote. I only have 2yrs no claims on the van compared to 20yrs on the car so when I found a quote for £750 I was quite pleased. My partner then suggested I call them and mention the accident she had whist on my car policy. I was unsure because to the best of my knowledge my circumstances (insurance wise) hadn't changed, but then called the company anyway. I was very surprised when they said that the accident counts as my claim and they would have to increase their price to £1200. I have been driving since 17yrs old and I'm now 38 having never had an accident or claim personally . Is this correct or is there anything I can do about it.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is Tony, I can help you with this.

tdlawyer :

The claim was made against your policy, and as such, will count as a claim for the purposes of new policies.

tdlawyer :

The explanation you have now been given therefore does make sense.

tdlawyer :

Hello.

tdlawyer :

Please remember to rate the answer for me if this has answered your question.

tdlawyer :

I would be happy to continue to chat with you to explain this more fully.