Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, i wonder if you could help me- Ibeen done for drink driving

Customer Question

Hi, i wonder if you could help me- I'been done for drink driving just over a year ago ( i know very, very stupid but i've learned my lesson and never ever again ) - i've blew 88 in the breathalyser therefore puts me on the hro (high risk offender) category and i will need a medical before i apply for my license back. I got banned for 20 month and a fine but i've done the drink and driving course and my ban got reduced by 5 month. I suppose to be back on the road by the 25th of april.
Now i suppose to get the medical appointment by post from the dvla 56 days or so before my ban is over.
As i was driving on a foreign license when caught,( i don't have a british one ), and court told me that because my license is a foreign one they could not hold it and gave it back to me, but they've also said after my ban is over i should apply and do the test for a new british driving license.
My question is; will the dvla know that i was banned as they don't really have any records of me there as I'm not asking for my license back (i what to apply for a new one).
Shall i go for the medical even if i get the appointment by post?
what i really want to know is, as i never apply for a license before, once my ban is over can i apply for one like nothing happened or they will still know that i was banned?.
if they don't have record of me shall i bother with the medical?.
please let me know what happens in cases like mine that even though i was banned my license hasn't been held and need to apply for a new one..
If after the test they grant me the license- will it have the dr10 on it as being the first one issued to me?.
please i will appreciate if you can help me, many thanks.
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but if they require a medical how were you hoping to avoid it?