Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am thinking of using an internal car camera, for insurance

Customer Question

I am thinking of using an internal car camera, for insurance evidence etc. Can you tell me whether this is legal within England, UK ?
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think it may not be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My only concern is where it may have an impact on other people or road users privacy. In addition, I am not sure whether the recorded evidence could be used in a court of law if required.

Sorry for the delay.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

There is no freestanding tort of privacy in the Uk anyway. There have been attempts to extend the HRA out in that direction but they have largely failed.

In any event, if this is for your own personal purposes then there is a specific exclusion in the Data Protection Act covering it.

The only issue may be that the CCTV does need to be on the outside of the car with no mean of watching it inside! Otherwise the police will say it amounts to driving without due care and attention.

There's no prohibition on this. You can actually get motorcycle helmets with cameras fixed on them to deal with this problem now.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/