Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi ThereI got done with dangerous driving on the 28th of

Customer Question

Hi There

I got done with dangerous driving on the 28th of august 2012, the reason I was charged with this offence was because I was doing 99mph in a 50 zone on the M8 Motorway in Glasgow at around 11.30 on a Wednesday night. The police stopped me I took full responsibility for what I had done, they done checks on me and the vehicle car was fully insured and motd and I had also never been in trouble with the police until that time. So after 6 months I still had not heard anything from courts so I phoned the sheriff court to find out exactly what was going on with my case and they then proceeded to tell me that I had an active warrant out for my arrest, as soon as I was told this I contacted my lawyer and he advised me to hand myself in to my local police station which was Coatbridge, I went up to Coatbridge with my father and I gave the officer my name they then proceeded to do checks and it turned out I did not have any warrants out for my arrest, then the sergeant in charge that night proceeded to tell me that the case had been binned and no further court cases or action would be taken. A few months later I got a letter through the door to appear at court for the offence after being told that it was not going any further, I got to court then case got adjourned and this happened another 8 times, I now have a new court date which is on the 17/02/2014 this coming Monday and my lawyer is telling me theres nothing he can do but im wanting to get more advice because I believe that I should be given a lower charge for everything that's happened and because I also have not been in trouble with the police service before in my 19 years of living and that I have still been driving since the date of the offence which was nearly 2 years ago now. I have also been told by the company I work for NATIONAL TYRES AND AUTOCARE that I will loose my job because the job I do I need to have my driving licence for it. Could someone please get back to me asap as I am very concerned and worried about this matter thank you very much.

Craig
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are my chances of getting this charged dropped or getting it dropped to a lowet charge! I will loose my job if i loose my licence or get more than 4 points
Do you dispute the speed that is alleged?

Or the limit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes because in there report they said i was doing 138mph but they wrhere in an audi a5 and i was in a 1.2 corsa which mac speed is 96 mph!
Ok.

But what was your speed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
96 mph

You can always make representations to the Crown that you should be charged with speeding alone.

However you need to be realistic. You are over the highest speeding bracket several times I'm afraid. Its not likely that they would charge it as speeding alone but possible that they could.

Its worth trying to see what the outcome is either way.

Driving without due care and attention isn't really an appropriate charge here though. Its not really not showing care and attention. Its an issue of excessive speed which is a different one entirely.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.