Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I DRIVE A TAXI.I PULLED INTO A LOADING BAY TO DROP OFF A PASSENGER

Customer Question

I DRIVE A TAXI.I PULLED INTO A LOADING BAY TO DROP OFF A PASSENGER AND I HAD A CALL OF NATURE.WHEN THIS HAPPENS I HAVE A PROBLEM WHERE I HAVE TO GO IMMEDIATELY. THE COUNCIL HAVE CLOSED ALL THE PUBLIC TOILETS SO I WENT INTO THE NEARBY BOOKMAKERS.I TOOK ABOUT 10 MINUTES TO ANSWER THE CALL OF NATURE AND WHEN I CAME OUT I HAD A TICKET FOR PARKING IN A LOADING BAY. THE OWNER OF THE TAXI EVENTUALLY RECIEVED THE PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE.I WROTE TO THE COUNCIL EXPLAINING THAT I WAS DRIVING THE TAXI AT THE TIME OF THE OFFENCE AND I APPEALED SAYING THAT I WAS ANSWERING A CALL OF NATURE AND AS THERE WERE NO PUBLIC TOILETS I HAD TO GO INTO THE NEAREST AVAILABLE SHOP TOILETS.THE APPEAL WAS REFUSED THERE WAS NO MENTION THAT I COULD APPEAL TO AN ADUDICATOR.THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE COUNCIL ARE NOW CHASING THE OWNER OF THE TAXI[WHO IS MY ESTRANGED WIFE] FOR THE PENALTY CHARGE AND HAVE INCREASED THE CHARGE FROM £30 TO £90 AND HAVE NOW PUT IT IN THE HANDS OF A SHERIFF OFFICER EVEN THOUGH I ADMITTED FROM THE OUTSET THAT I WAS THE GUILTY PARTY AND I WAS DRIVING THE CAR.THE PROBLEM IS THAT I AM STILL INTENDING APPEALING THE PARKING TICKET BUT THE SHERIFF OFFICER HAS BEEN AT MY WIFE'S DOOR WITH A CITATION AND MY WIFE IS VERY RESERVED AND PANICKING ABOUT HAVING TO GO TO COURT.WHAT CAN MY WIFE DO TO GET HER NAME OF THE PENALTY CHARGE AND MY NAME ON IT.
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, your wife is the registered keeper of the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES. MY WIFE IS THE REGISTERED KEEPER

Thankyou.

I am afraid it is bad news.

If this is a local council fine then they run against the registered keeper of the vehicle and there is no way that any other person can be made liable.

You can, however, resolve it so that she is no longer pursued but only by paying in full I'm afraid.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/