Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

can CCTV enforcment cameras be sighted without consultation

Customer Question

can CCTV enforcment cameras be sighted without consultation and signage in an busy central area of a tow??
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are a heating company situated on a busy road, we have traded at this location for the past 8 years, we have double yellow lines on the road outside our shop, for the past seven years we have had enforcement officers patroling the area and did not have any problems if our customers parked and completed their business in 20minutes. last november a CCTV enforcement camera suddenly appeared without any notice or consultation by or local council, since its inception or valued customers have received over 80 parking tickets and it has had a dramatic effect on our business, we have complained without any success.

Can you advise please.

I presume that there are double yellow lines clearly marked at the location?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes - last over painted eighteen months ago

I'm afraid that is fairly bad news.

The issue here for you is not really that the double yellow lines are not sufficiently advertised or have the force of law to support them but just plain but they haven't previously been enforced.

Laws do fall into disuse sometimes and their enforcement is revived. That doesn't mean that it cannot be enforced.

In terms of whether or not they should have been advertisements, I'm afraid the answer is also negative. There is no obligation to advertise the enforcement of a contravention by CCTV or other means. This always used to be done by traffic warden walking the beat but councils never had to give notice if they changed the route of traffic wardens or employed more staff. CCTV is exactly the same.

It might be worth complaining to your councillor about this as there has been recent recognition of the fact that enforcement of contraventions in town centres has a really adverse effects upon business and ultimately it is the private sector but pays for everything in the UK.

I'm very sorry but that is your position and I have to give you