Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

if you are stopped by the police and accused of speeding but

Customer Question

if you are stopped by the police and accused of speeding but not given a ticket can you still be prosecuted
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think you could not be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the police officer was two cars behind me and said he was doing a taxi stop as iam ataxi driver and then ihad to go to the townhall were mycar and myself werechecked over

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what other information do you need

I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but I'm not sure why you think they should not be able to prosecute?

You were stopped at scene and given a verbal NIP and so they can rely upon that.

They do not have to give a motorist and FPN. The FPN is not part of the statutory process. In fact, it is no more than a means of reducing the pressure on the courts by dealing with these offences by an administrative means.

They have six months to lay an information before the courts.

Whether they will or not is another matter. If this is a police car then the only means of measuring your speed would be a measure of their own speedometer whilst travelling behind or alongside of you and that isn't the best means of measuring speed.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/