Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Is it misleading to include a paragraph in the Co op Motor

Customer Question

Is it misleading to include a paragraph in the Co op Motor Insurance Renewal letter that if I pay by direct debit 'I don't need to lift a finger'. My insurance was cancelled end of Jan 14 as I unknowingly missed a DD payment. Co op terms and conditions and in the final sentence of the above paragraph state they will cancel the policy if the first renewal payment is missed. I did not receive the letter they sent me on 4 Feb 14 advising of the cancellation. My 18 yr old son has been given FPN for driving without insurance on my car, driivng licence revoked. Have I been misled?
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I am really sorry and I wish I could give you more positive advice but I'm afraid I cannot.

It is true that if you pay by direct debit then you need do nothing else. The problem here is that you didn't pay. There's no way of sugar coating it. There was a missed payment. If there is a missed payment then they will cancel the policy.

He could always argue special reasons at court in an attempt to avoid points. It depends whether he has paid the FPN already. if he has then its too late to get this reopened.

If you are just considering whether the insurers are liable then I'm afraid they are not.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/