Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I received a fixed penalty notice for speeding in December

Customer Question

I received a fixed penalty notice for speeding in December 2013 in a speed trap, by an officer hiding off the dual carriageway. I was given the FPN which meant £100 fine and 3 points on my licence.

I attended my nominated police station the next day and surrendered my licence to be sent off for endorsement, as required. I then paid the £100 fine by post the next few days afterwards and this cheque has been cashed.

In late January 2014, I received a letter from the Police requesting that in order to speed up the process for me to provide a copy of the FPN (if available) or to complete the enclosed questionnaire to provide the details of the offence.

It would seem the endorsing office has lost their copy of the FPN and the one that I sent with the payment as requested. I ignored the letter requesting a copy of the FPN or completing the questionnaire reiterating the details that were on the FPN. My view is that I have complied with the FPN in full (I did everything asked) and feel no need to provide the information they should already have - i.e I don't wish to provide the rope to hang myself, so to speak!

My questions are:

1. Am I required to provide further information? I have not received any further requests for information since the January letter and the letter did not state it was a criminal offence to not provide the information. It simply went along the lines of that it would speed up the matter, i.e. be helpful.

2. Is there a time limit in which my licence must be endorsed / returned, bearing in mind I have complied fully with the FPN and made full payment by cheque (which was cashed) within the required timelines?

3. I do not have a copy of the FPN and no longer remember any circumstance of the offence - can't remember date, speeds or location. How do I obtain my licence back and can I avoid having my licence endorsed with the 3 points?

Kind regards,

Terry.
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, the offence occurred in December?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Offence occurred December 2013.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any update, please?
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help?