Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I jumped a red light and expected a fine and 3 points, my details

Customer Question

I jumped a red light and expected a fine and 3 points, my details have now been sent to the courts because it was on red a few seconds too long, what will happen now. I need my licence for my work. I have a clean licence.
Category: Traffic Law

Jo C. :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this. What work do you do that needs you to have a licence?

Customer:

I am a funeral director

Jo C. :

Thanks for the response. I am in court today so may not be able to answer you straight away. I will be finished early afternoon if you don't mind waiting until then for me to get back to you. Thanks and no need to reply to this message

Customer:

how long should I wait for a full reply it has been over 5 hours.

Jo C. :

I'm sorry. I did respond to this but it obviously didn't up load.

Jo C. :

Are you charged with driving without due care now rather than the red light offence?

Customer:

I don't know for definite but I would assume so.

Jo C. :

How many seconds over?

Customer:

Not sure I went through a red light at 2am it was not just changing from amber it was red realised immediately but too late

Jo C. :

Its not all that likely that they would ban you unless it was literally something like 15 seconds after turning red.

Jo C. :

Probably they have summonsed you for driving without due care and attention which is rather harsh here.

Jo C. :

But I would expect 6 points and a fine.

Jo C. :

You might even get 3 although there's not much point really really in charging you with this offence and not the more appropriate one if all they are going to do is give you 3 points.

Jo C. :

Customer:

Yes please it was 4and half seconds after turning red

Jo C. :

I suppose they could justify this then.

Customer:

meaning

Jo C. :

Its probably 6-9 points. I think a short ban would be harsh.

Jo C. :

Its worth more than 3 points.

Customer:

first offence and clean licence

Jo C. :

That isn't the issue.

Jo C. :

The issue is road safety.

Jo C. :

That would only be an issue if you were vulnerable to disqualification as a totter.

Customer:

ok thank you for your help not sure about your last comment whats a totter

Jo C. :

A person who has acquired more than 12 points in a 3 year period is liable to a 6 month ban as a totter.

Customer:

ok thanks Im not one of those

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your help just need to wait for response from courts.

Hopefully they will forget to summons and then you will escape with nothing at all.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/