Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847
Traffic Law

I have been sent a letter saying Failure to comply with Insurance

requirements
Category: Traffic Law
replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Yes that letter was issued on a basis of record kept by Secretary of State that I was registered keeper of that vehicle but it was not insured.The reason why was not insured was that it was broken and I was struggling to repair the car as the no one could address the problem so I was not sure when the car will be drive-able again. So I did not declare SORN and did not have insurance in place.At that time car never was driven and moved only on a trailer on recovery truck.

Please I want to know what I am facing pleading not guilty in a court and what it takes to prove my innocence.

Jo C., Barrister replied 3 years ago.

The only way you can prove your innocence is to produce either an insurance certificate or a SORN declaration. Since you can do neither here I'm afraid your only option is to plead guilty.

If this is just failing to comply with insurance requirements to keep the vehicle continuously insured rather than driving without insurance then that does not carry points but only a fine.

The fine will be between 125-175 % of your weekly income, costs of £85 if you plead guilty at the first possible opportunity and the surcharge of roughly £50.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Last thing which is really important to me. Does pleading guilty will result in a criminal record?

Jo C., Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but not a very serious one. Its not one that has any impact on your character.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Jo c

Will giving any mittigating circumstances affect the amount of all cost all together?

Jo C., Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Not the costs but it may reduce the fine.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Jo C

When this criminal record will be cleared from my files?

Jo C., Barrister replied 3 years ago.
It will always remain on PNC but it will drop off basic checking after 1 year and enhanced after 11 years.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Jo C

Would you advise going to the court and be present at court case?

Jo C., Barrister replied 3 years ago.
It is generally better to attend in person and mitigate yourself.