Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

in 2010 i was given 3 points on my driving licence for driving

Customer Question

in 2010 i was given 3 points on my driving licence for driving at 37mph the police couldn't accept my fine payment as i had lost/misplaced my licence and was awaiting a replacement from the dvl a so i had to go to court the magistrates asked me to pay on the day and have 3 points put on my licence. i did this and my new licence arrived with the points on some weeks later.All was well for 4 years until i lost my purse in Jan 2014 so applied for a replacement licence...when i had received no reply for 8 weeks i called the dvl a to enquire about the delay i was horrified to be told my licence had been revoked in 2010 i knew absolutely nothing about this. The dvla said i should have sent my licence back to them for the points to be added i assumed they had been added.The dvla just said apply with D1 form and don't drive until new license issued which could take 4 weeks.Is there anything more i should do i am shocked and very worried.
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What are you hoping to achieve here?

Sorry for the delay
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i would like to know if i will be punished for unknowingly driving with a revoked licence for 4 years

also are the dvla obliged to inform people their licence is revoked(otherwise how are individuals to know)

i have applied for new licence using d1 form and will not drive until i get that which will great distress due to work and family commitments but am worried about any punishment or sanctions for doing so for 4 years!!!

apologies for rambling

Well, only if they know about it. It is possible that you could be prosecuted for driving not in accordance but the police would have to have evidence that you have been driving and they don't on these facts.

No, they are not under an obligation to tell people about revocations but they usually do.

Nothing will happen about this. The DVLA do not prosecute people for an offence of this nature and even they have no evidence that you have been driving.