Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi I was caught speeding back in January and subsequently

Customer Question

I was caught speeding back in January and subsequently received a £100 fine.

I payed the fine within the 28 days given and then sent my license off to have the points added a couple of weeks later.

I have now received a my license back with a letter telling me I will have my fine refunded "as the payment and license were not received within the specified period" and west yorkshire police will now commence proceedings withe the magistrates court.

I know I payed the fine in time for sure so I guess the license may not have got there in time but as far as i can remember the form said to send the license immediately afetr paying the fine put did not give an actual time period. Sadly I did not keep a copy of the form.

On the bottom of the letter I received it states.... if you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact this office on the telephone number above....

... however I called the number and it seemed to be someones house and they had no idea what i was talking about when i mentioned the HM Courts and Tribunals Service.

There was also a web address so I typed this into my web browser and it came up with nothing!!!

So my question is....

What do I do here?

• I have wrong contact information in the letter
• They have not stated what was actually late
• They have not sent me back the form I sent with the envelope so I have not evidence of when I sent it to them

It all seems a bit odd to me
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What advice can you give me in dealing with this to try and avoid getting a much larger fine in court or to avoid having to go to court at all?

Did you send your licence back within 28 days?