Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

which section of legislation covers access only streets

which section of legislation covers 'access only' streets
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo

I need to quote the legislation covering 'Access Only' streets. I live on such a street and need to remind non residents by letter that they have no legitimate reason to be driving on or parking on our street. It is a polite letter following advice from Police and local councillors to residents of surrounding roads. So,for example, in accordance with the NHS and Community Care act 1990 section ? but for this query the relevant road regulations or Act.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo

I simply need to quote the appropriate relevant legislation when writing to residents of surrounding streets about their misuse of our 'Access Only' street. Please just tell me which piece of legislation covers this.

Are you asking how its created?

Or the meaning of an access only sign?

Or the consequences for breach?

Or who enforces?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Jo

The Police enforce it.

I know what the sign means

I need to know which legislation covers it, for example the Road Traffic Act or which regulations.

You mean which act creates it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not being clear or specific enough - so if my street has an 'access only' order applied to it, enforceable by the police, which piece of legislation defines who has and hasn't legitimate access ... we as residents clearly do as do visitors to residents and those carrying out work for residents.

Which piece of legislation defines the right of access for an 'Access Only' street?

Is this any clearer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo

Are you still dealing with my question?

Yes, I am looking at it.

I haven't found anything so far. This obviously involves tracing legislation so its not a quick thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I apologise for any confusion - I perhaps wrongly assumed that it would be defined somewhere who had and hadn't legitimate access on an 'Access Only' street.

I will wait for a response.

All I can find on that specific point is here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/schedule/2/made

At schedule 2 620 which says vehicles requiring access to land or properties adjacent to the road are exempted.

Hope thats what you wanted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo

Thanks for your efforts so far. Your answer definitely helps me but I admit It wasn't quite what I expected ... perhaps this is all there is? If so I am happy to rate you as providing good service. If there is anything else please let me know. I will rate you following your next response and I hope that's ok.

Thanks again for your efforts

Chris

I have looked into this quite heavily and I cannot find any other enacting legislation.

It might be that its just badly defined as it isn't really the type of thing that would commonly be appealed such as t o make case law. It certainly wouldn't be the first act of parliament to be badly drafted.