Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

HI, I have just received my first speeding fine .. what should

HI, I have just received my first speeding fine .. what should I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your time,

There was an accident on the M1 and the above speed signs were 40mph .. but the traffic was moving at around 50 so I went with the flow .. and now I have a speeding fine :(

Ok.

So are you asking how to respond to the forms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I have to pay this, or is there a way out of it .. I suppose is the direct question .

Well, it depends.

What is your defence? Do you deny speeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I don't deny speeding ... I am just aggrieved that I was just going with the flow of the traffic. Was not even in the outside lane :(

Yes, I do understand. Too busy prosecuting speeders and people who tried to kiss somebody in the 1970s and domestic disputes to deal with any real crime in the UK.

However, the practical reality is that this is not a defence. Essentially the point you are making is that everybody else was speeding too which is not a defence for your speed.

You don't have to accept the fixed penalty. Its only an offer. If you do ignore them then they may forget to summons you. That does happen sometimes. You would only get the same number of points at court but the financial penalty may be higher.

Alternatively they may offer the speed awareness course. They will say that its not available as you are over the 10% bracket but they can offer it when it suits them for much higher speeds.

Sorry if this is bad news.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply Jo,

I just feel miffed after all these years without ever gaining a speeding fine as I do actively drive carefully :(

Have a good one.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.