Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I use international drivers licence which is valid for 1 yr

Customer Question

I use international drivers licence which is valid for 1 yr from the date i entered the uk. I have been charged with careless driving, driving without insurance ( i as a driver was not covered on the insurance.
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need legal advice of the above issue

Ok. So what is your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My question is i intend to plead guity and ask the court for liniency. Do u think its the right way to take

What is the nature of the careless driving?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was braking constantly , driving below maximum speed limit and swaving from left to right .

For what reason?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could not see properly because i had firgotten my eye glasses at home it was at night and my eye sight is not very good at night. Visibility was also poor on this particular night

Ok. That is definitely a careless driving. In that case, pleading guilty is definitely the right thing to do. They could actually charge you with more serious offences although they won't. The police will not know that you should be wearing eye glasses.

In relation to the no insurance, if you were uninsured then your only option is to plead guilty. Its an offence of strict liability so you either were insured or you were not. If you were not then you should plead as you will be convicted.

I would normally suggest offering a plea to one offence and not the other but there is no point here. They are distinct offences and they will be wanting a plea to both.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had told the police the same that i had forgotten my eye glasses and its in thier statement. Thanks so much for answering my questions.

Well, plead guilty before they amend the charge. They will not at this stage.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem.

Please remember to leave feedback for my answer