How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 70715
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

exceed variable camera 40mph recorded at 59mph M1 south bound

Customer Question

exceed variable camera 40mph recorded at 59mph M1 south bound j26 to j25
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8.44 am Sat 7th June 2014

I was in the traffic flow never remember seeing a variable speed road clear was in the middle lane think it is 4 lanes at this point on M1

I was not over taking

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Are you asking what sentence you will get ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sentence or find


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

If this is 59 mph in a 40 mph zone then the sentencing guidelines say 4-6 points or a ban of between 7 - 28 days and a fine.

Its at the bottom end of the sentencing bracket so I would expect 4 points. There is no prospect of a ban. There is no particular aggravation here.

The fine would be between 75-125% of your weekly income. Unless there were literally workmen at the road side I would expect between 75-100%.

There will also be costs of £85, the victim surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine.

Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a chance I could get a fixed fined

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
It is possible but not likely. It would exceed the sentencing guideslines but they can do that when it suits.