Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Someone has registered their vehicle at my address, who does

Someone has registered their vehicle at my address, who does not live here. As a result I am getting parking fines and all correspondents relating to their vehicle/car? I keep sending the letters back to the sender, however the letters keep coming to my address. Can you offer me help on what I should do?

Best regards ***** *****
Category: Traffic Law

I presume you are not the named person?

And you do not know the named person at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not the named person. Yes I know the named person, however till I started receiving parking fines I didn't realise he had used my address. I have sent emails asking why he has used my address and informing him of the fines and asking he to remove his details. Nothing has been actioned.

What should I do to proceed? I don't want my property being black listed. And I feel stressed that parking fines will continue to come to my property.

Best regards.
You don't need to worry about it being blacklisted. All that is a complete myth. The blacklisted house doesn't really exist. The only risk from your point of view is this person being added to your credit rating as an associated person but that won't happen from the type of contact you are suggesting.

You may ultimately have a visit from bailiffs but they cannot remove property that does not belong to the debtor so nothing of yours can be touched.

In terms of sorting it out long term, all this will stem from the registration at the DVLA.

You can inform the DVLA that this vehicle should not be registered at the address and is not kept there. They can fine the person for failing to tell them where the vehicle is. Whether they would act upon your information or not is another matter but if you have a forwarding address for them then they should follow it up.

If the fines were in your name then I would tell you to make a statutory declaration but there is no point as the entire debts point to a third party.

It is possible that you will receive some correspondence and possibly visits. All you can realistically do is give these agencies the correct address.

I suppose in legal theory you could pursue the other person for harassment but there is cost in doing that and I'm not sure it really takes you to the place you want to be here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So in summary:

1) shall I continue to return the mail to the sender.

2) I don't have a forwarding address for the person, would it still be ok to contact the DVLA and let them know the person does not live at the address registered?

Thank you for your help Maria.
1 Yes, definitely.

2 Yes, do that anyway and give them any information that you have. They should follow it up.

This may lead to some adverse contact but as long as you keep on top of it nobody can take any action against you.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.