How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 69256
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been charged with drink driving which I dont dispute

Resolved Question:

I have been charged with drink driving which I don't dispute is there any way of avoiding a ban?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had been drinking when my son called at2am crying in pain with a broken tooth stupidly I went to take him pain killers 2miles down the road. I was trying to get home quickly when the police car spotted me turning into my road. They questioned me on my drive. I did not dispute the findings and cooperated. They kept me in a cell for over5 hours my initial reading was 51.

The impact of a ban will fall on my family heavily as my husband works away regularly. I have also found out a couple of days before the incident that I will not be considered as a guardian for my granddaughter if she is removed from her parents she is on a child protection plan - this honour will go to her grandad who lives over 70 miles away a ban will mean I can't appeal the position and will not be able to visit so will have in effect lost her'

Due to this stupidity I may lose my promotion but more importantly will have to give up being a cub leader, my volunteer position with German shepherd rescue and my position as parent governor
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thats a problem I'm afraid.

A ban is mandatory. There is no way it could be avoided even the Bench had sympathy with your position and wanted to show you mercy. Parliament has set down that all those convicted of drink driving are banned regardless of their mitigation. I'm afraid the minimum is 12 months and the court will have no interest in the impact it will have upon you or others.

There is only one route of escape and that is to argue special reasons apply but that considers the circumstances of the driving rather than the offender. Usually it covers things like people driving only a few inches or believing it was private land. Another reason would be medical emergency but I'm afraid a broken tooth does not amount to a medical emergency. Emergency has been interpreted to literally mean an emergency rather than a complaint.

You can reduce the ban period by one quarter if you do the drink driving course that will be offered.

If this is a reading of 51 in breath then you are only facing a ban of 12 months reduced to 9.

However, there is no way of avoiding it completely I'm afraid unless special reasons apply.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 69256
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H


    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm
  • /img/opt/shirt.png LondonlawyerJ's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a solicitor with particular expertise in road traffic law.