Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
12488363

Hi, Im a self employed private hire operator/driver, i have

Customer Question

Hi, Im a self employed private hire operator/driver, i have a chip in the windscreen, (been there 4 yrs!)less than 10mm, it has always passed m.o.t, my licencing authority (rushmoor borough council) wants me to replace/repair it or they will revoke my licence, can they do this as the car/windscreen is road legal.
Thankyou,
Richard bird.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. I will assist you with this.

As a taxis and private hire vehicles provide a service to the public, the local authority can and does set guidelines for these vehicles.

Whilst the chip in the windscreen may be considered road legal and you have passed your test, this may not be standard under their Inspection Standards. Many local authority's standards say that windows should be clean and free from marks, defects, grease etc.

Therefore, you need to check the rules for your local authority. However, on a practical note, a chip of 10mm can be repaired easily and cheaply (often free under certain insurers) provided it is not directly in front of the drivers line of vision.

Hope this assists.
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi Richard

Did you manage to find the Local Authority standards?

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

If not, please don't forget to rate my answer (positively appreciated!).