Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Are there rules governing the positioning of mobile speed cameras?

Are there rules governing the positioning of mobile speed cameras? For instance must it be where a number of accidents have occurred?
Category: Traffic Law

In short, there are not. Its a bit more complicated than that.

The Constabularies and the Department of Transport will only devote resources to locations that have a certain number of accidents but thats a costing exercise as they do have to justify how public money is being spent.

Regardless of that though, even if they decided to put a speed camera in a location that has never had an accident before therefore departing from that principle, they would still be able to rely on its findings.

This is an issue of policy rather than law and its more of a complaint for the Taxpayers Alliance if they are ignoring that principle than a legal challenge for the courts.