Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am due to attend court

Customer Question

I am due to attend court for a motoring offence (speeding points at limit)
But the date issued is when I am abroad
Can I approach the court and ask for the date of hearing to be changed ?
Category: Traffic Law
is there any reason you need to attend?
Can you plead by post?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jo
I have received a summons today as I have now 12 points on my license and the court is considering disqualification - but the date they have given is 29 July and I am out of the country ?
I see.
You do need to attend for that then.
You can ask the court to reschedule it. They are often very unhelpful it must be said. They will generally move a hearing though if they have sight of evidence of a prebooked holiday.
If they will not deal with it administratively though then you will need to attend to make an application.
If you intent instructing a solicitor to deal with the hearing for you then they could negotiate with the court for you but it would be at cost.
If not, then you will have to call them yourself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will call them on Monday - I can show prebooked trip evidence- one more question - Would you advise in this instance retaining the services of a solicitor for the hearing when it does take place ?
I would never advise a solicitor. This is perfect for a barrister under public access and it will be much cheaper for you.
Are you arguing exceptional hardship?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I very much need my license for my job and i have a young family - I was caught by the same camera on a road I was unfamiliar with in close succession - 33 in a 30 and 35 in a 30
I dont really understand exceptional hardship but I think I will need help with this as it could be devastating - I very much drive carefully and never want to be in this situation again - how do I instruct a barrister ?
Then you are arguing exceptional hardship.
Where are you roughly in the UK?
Which court is this before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in Solihull and work in Leicester and all over the UK and US but HQ in Leicester
It is before Leicester magistrates court
There are chambers in Leicester but I don't know if anybody does public access work.
You can always instruct London chambers and they will travel but they will charge. You can try here
www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk
I know that these barristers are public access
http://www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk/index.php/members/colin-witcher-2010
http://www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk/index.php/members/jo-morris-2003
Or here
http://www.newwalkchambers.co.uk/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much Jo
No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok will do
Good luck with this.