Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I parked for 33minutes on the Associated British Ports car

Customer Question

I parked for 33minutes on the Associated British Ports car park because the Red funnel Ferry to Cowes was late , and there was no room in the Red Funnel boarding car park, or aywhere else, and nowhere to stop the car. The Parking Eye company have sent me a bill for £60, which seems excessive as I now know the charge there is £1.20 Per hour. can I write to them with a cheque for say £10 as a reasonable payment?
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

You can make that offer but they won't accept it.

I know there is a good deal of nonsense on this point on the internet. It is a complete myth that they only have a claim for the sum of their loss. The truth is that it depends what the signs said at the scene. If they warn of the issue of a fine and quoted £60 then they have an argument that this sum is due under the contract regardless of loss. If the signs were badly worded and did not say that then probably not. However, it is wrong to say that they have no claim at all for certain.

The chances are they would not sue for this sum as its not worth the manpower.

Also, you can put them to proof at court and you may well win. They are not litigators so do not always do things correctly.

Making this offer though at this stage will do no more than ear mark you in their records as somebody who is responding to their debt collection activities.