Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, last year, as a pedestrian, I was walking home and came

Hi, last year, as a pedestrian, I was walking home and came up to a level crossing. I was going to cross but just at that moment the lights started flashing, so I quickly nipped across. Have I broken the law and what is the likely penalty. I cannot remember the exact date.
Category: Traffic Law
No. You are a pedestrian. You are not subject therefore to the Road Traffic Act.
It might not have been a brilliant idea to do this but it is not an offence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it is not an offence under the road traffic laws is it an offence under any other statute

No.
I suppose it might offend against local bye laws but that is not likely and anyway they could not trace you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still rather confused. I recently looked up a British Transport website which said that pedestrians could be fined for misusing level crossings. Is this not the case then ?

Only on the basis of a local bye law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I have looked up the CPS guidelines for prosecution and I would, as far as I understand it, have not been prosecuted, as my actions would have only resulted in a technical breech of the law.

Technical breaches of the law are offences. There is no defence in saying that the breach is only technical.
I'm happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.