Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My car has been towed by Task Enforcement Ltd. and I have been

Customer Question

My car has been towed by Task Enforcement Ltd. and I have been left a letter in my postbox which states:
warrant of control - outstanding parking fines -
(6 parking ticket references)
The total sum outstanding comes to £1707.
I was prepared to pay this fee in order to get my car back but the timing was in favour of the bailiff and the officer to speak with was off by this time and I had to wait until Monday, tomorrow.
However, I called the main number and the person at the office whom I spoke with told me that I have been issued 7 other letters regarding more fines which brings the total to £3121. He told me that they would not release my car until the total £3121 was paid in full.
My question is:
If I have a notice for removal of my car and a demand for £1707, am I obligated to pay the £3121 which the company is demanding?
I am not even sure if these other tickets are real, but just in case they manage to provide proof that they are, the fact is that I have been left with a notice and demand for £1707.
I look forward to your reply as I must deal with this at 6am in a few hours when the office opens.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did you actually receive the other 7 letters?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
What I suggest you do is write to them as follows:
-say that alleging that they have sent letters of which you have not received and they have provided no proof is at best a misleading trading practice and at worst fraud;
- say you will pay the additional demand of £1700 (if you admit this) under protest;
- if they do not then immediately release your car, you reserve the right to:
(1) report them to the police for fraud;
(2) report them to trading standards - http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk
I would then considering firstly suing them to recover the excessive fees and I would definitely report them to Trading Standards.
Do you admit you parked illegally?
AJ