Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

hi,my friend took my car without permission and got arrested

Customer Question

hi,my friend took my car without permission and got arrested for drink driving. I dont want to press charges, but can he still get in trouble?
Category: Traffic Law
If he was caught drink driving then he can be prosecuted for that obviously.
In relation to the taken and driven away the risk you face is that the police will threaten to prosecute you for allowing no insurance if you don't make a statement against him.
If you don't give evidence against him though then they will not be able to prove the taken and driven away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response, i have already given a statement. Does that count as evidence ? They came in the early hours of the morning and caught me of guard

Yes, but it isn't admissible per se.
Unless you are willing to go to court and give evidence they will not be able to convict but they may prosecute you if you don't.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks. so just to clarify, he will get charged for drink driving but not for theft ?

if so then thats what i wanted to hear, I dont want him in anymore trouble.

Yes, if you refuse to give evidence.