Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Dear sir, On Christmas Day I attended the early 9.00am Service

Dear sir,
On Christmas Day I attended the early 9.00am Service at St John's Church above Grove Park in Weston-super-Mare. As CHRISTMAS DAY is a Bank Holiday I parked on a single yellow line just around the corner from St. John's, (as I do every Sunday) When I returned to my car after the service I was very shocked to find a parking ticket attached to the window!
I am not aware of any changes to the rules regarding Bank Holiday parking on this particular day and I would very much like to know who decided to make this apparantly unnanounced change!
AT 10.30am The 2nd congregation members would be parking there. Did they receive parking tickets? The whole affair is most unsatisfactory and un-Christian.
I am writing to ask you if you will please repeal this parking charge against me.
signed by PC No.1250 .and the time of issue was 09.05
Dear sir,
Dear sir,
Dear sir,
Dear sir,
Category: Traffic Law
So, in short, you received a fine on Christmas Day?
Who is the issuer please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ticket issued by Avon & Somerset Constabulary.

The Constabulary not the local council?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Are there signs at the location governing the hours of operation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. But I am not sure word for word. The point really is that Christmas Day should be counted as a Sunday.

The sign is the usual one for single yellow lines.

Please forget about that. It is a non issue.
Do you ever go back to that location? Can you check the signs and respond back?
Or sometimes you can check the times online?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can, but not tonight. I will get in touch tomorrow.

Yes, no problem. Whenever you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI, Jo.

How do I rate your answer? I can't see any where to click. Betty

No, you won't be able to do that until I answer which I will be able to do when we know the wording of the signs.
There is no particular rush. Whenever you can.
How are we doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Contacting you. I have been to town to verify which type of parking restrictions are displayed. They are small yellow Rectangles on a pole with a red dot & a diagonal line plus the inscription "between 9.00am and 6.00pm.

With no special rules for Bank Holidays or weekends?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sundays and Bank Holidays are normally free to park.

Yes, but the sign.
Did the sign say anything about those dates.
Normally single yellow lines accompanies by signs specifically exclude certain days depending on where they are and the local issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Jo.Smile

Sorry? I haven't answered yet.
I presume the signs didn't say anything about Bank Holidays.
You will find the Highway Code on this point here
https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/waiting-and-parking-238
and basically you are prohibited from parking anywhere on single yellow lines unless the signs indicate the hours of operation are not in force.
On the face of it, they do not. The hours of operation were in force even on Christmas Day.
You could try appealing on this basis. The risk is costs if this goes to court. Remember you cannot appeal administratively as you can with the local council.
I have to say that it would be disappointing if they prosecuted this but I wouldn't be surprised. I spent years prosecuting at the Magistrates Court and most of it is mindless trivia.