Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hello, I have received a NIP for doing 40mph in 30mph zone.

Customer Question

Hello, I have received a NIP for doing 40mph in 30mph zone. The manned camera was within the 30mph zone which is 500m in length (distance from roundabout to the 50mph sign). The manned camera was somewhere in this 500m 30mph section and recorded my speed of 40mph going out of the 30mph zone towards/ into the 50mph zone.
I am contending that it could be feasible that the picture at 40mph could have been taken when I was actually in the 50mph zone. As such I would like to ask for information on where exactly the officer was positioned along the 30mph 500m of road in question and also ask for a picture of the vehicle that allows me to see it in the context of the surroundings.
I have read that the Police do not have to supply me with any information at all until it goes to court should I decide to defend it. However I think my request for information is reasonable as it would then provide me with sufficient information to either accept the NIP or alternatively decide to defend it.
I am sort of expecting the response to my request to be something like they are not obliged to provide this information. But is the above not a reasonable approach? I understand that a court would expect parties to endeavour to resolve matters without the need for court intervention or is that only in a civil case?
Category: Traffic Law
Were you speeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not 100% sure on that. I say that as I know that stretch of road and that it is monitored by the police and I therefore have a more than heightened vigilance through that zone before the 50mph zone. It may be that I started to increase my speed approaching the 50mph sign. In fact it is a possibility that that could well be the case.

I guess whoever mans the camera would know if the picture was taken in the 30mph zone or not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Has anybody warned you of the risk of costs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have read about this and also that a judge would likely not look favourably if I am guilty ..... I understand that there is also the potential for an increase in fine etc.

My question is one of is the information that I am requesting reasonable? Do both parties not need to endeavour to reduce costs and as such sharing information to this end would be expected by the court, if indeed it did get to court?

No, in short.
With a criminal case, the Crown discloses the information upon which it relies to bring a prosecution at the time of first appearance.
If you want them to disclose more information you have to put in a defence case statement setting out your defence. The Crown should, and generally do, then assess their unused evidence and disclose anything that assists your defence and undermines their case.
There are specific time limits for that. The Crown will not comply with them. They never do and there are very limited consequences. You could get it listed for non disclosure but I always find it is better to just write to them.
Usually they just disclose on the morning of trial. If you have to plead at that time then you can resist a costs application on the basis that you only pleaded late because they didn't disclose in time and sometimes it finds favour and sometimes not.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Understood. Thank you.

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/