Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

, yes hopefully. I was caught by one of the new cameras

hello, yes hopefully. I was caught by one of the new cameras on the m25 doing 74mph while 50mph variable speed was the limit. This happened on 29 October last year. I've replied to their first notice within 30 days but they just keep sending the same thing through. What is my legal position please?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you named the driver?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I said I was the driver and could they post any further correspondence to my home address instead of my work address. This request seems to have been ignored as I've received 2 more notices but I've done nothing more than this.

I should also say that I've also just received another speeding ticket from a fixed camera on the A10 - for doing 48 in 40mph limit! All from the same police ie Beds, Cambs and Herts. This took place in my new vehicle on the 19th Jan.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it will be. They have to write to the address registered with the DVLA.
What do the latest notices say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The latest notice for the M25 incident doesn't say anything different from the original Notice and looks exactly the same except that the date is now 04.02.15. Still asking for driver confirmation etc and I've completed all this already on the first one which I replied to. They threaten me with RTA 1988 etc for failure to supply details required but I've already done this!

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That would tend to the suggest that they didn't get the other one or that you filled it out in a way that contained a qualification.
You need to complete this one and probably send it back recorded delivery so that they cannot deny receipt.
The notice you have received probably says reminder on it somewhere.
That is unless there is a fresh matter but it seems unlikely that it would be the same location.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks. Does the time lag between the original incident and the date now have any bearing? I thought they had a certain time limit to action otherwise the Notice became void. Thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
As long as the original NIP was sent to the registered keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence they are still in time Im afraid.
Otherwise they have six months from the date of the offence to lay an information before the court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks. I ignored the second NIP as I'd already replied to the first. Is it risky to sit tight still and see what happens again now?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't do that.
That will just give them an excuse to summons you for failing to identify. They might not do that. They do forget sometimes.
But it is a risk.
You would have a defence to the charge because you responded to the first but you would probably prefer not to spend your days defending it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and goodnight!

Nick

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.