LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  I am a solicitor with particular expertise in road traffic law.
76316425

I was caught by a speed camera doing 67mph on a 30mph zone.

Customer Question

I was caught by a speed camera doing 67mph on a 30mph zone. I have received a notice of intended prosecution. I would like to know what the maximum punishment is? I have heard the maximum will probably be: 6 points, a fine of 1000GBP and a driving ban of up to 56 days. Is this true ? My main question is, can I face imprisonment for this speeding offence?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

No you can not face imprisonment for this offence. The maximum ban is 56 days at your level of speeding it is almost inevitable that your ban will be close to that level. The fine will be at level B which currently has a £1,000 limit. You will also have to pay a contribution to prosecution costs. Being represented by a solicitor will increase your chances of keeping the ban low or even if very lucky avoiding it.