75100385

I had a car accident yesterday 24.03.15 3.45pm (not my fault)

Customer Question

I had a car accident yesterday 24.03.15 3.45pm (not my fault) I called my insurance company today to inform them only to be informed that i was not insured as my insurance ran out on 24.03.15 at 12noon. I was not aware as my insurance is an automatic renewal. However, as I need to have insurance i asked for them to renew my insurance. They informed me that my annual insurance would be £2000 as a pose to the £500 as i was driving without insurance which is a criminal offence. I tried to explain to them that i have been with them for over five years and my insurance is automatically renewed. The renewal premium is more than the car.What can i do
Category: Traffic Law
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Can you check the policy to see if it does renew automatically as they may have changed the term from last year?

JACUSTOMER-dyhacgo4- :

The renewal letter states it but not in the policy

Alex Watts :

Ok - then you could argue that you relied on that term.

Alex Watts :

As such you could argue they are responsible for the increase in costs as they did not notify you that you were not insured.

Alex Watts :

They made a representation which you relied upon.

Alex Watts :

You should write and make a formal complaint in writing. This will then be investigated.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with that response then you can complain to the Ombudsman. They offer free, independent advice and can examine your complaint at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Alex Watts :

If that does not work finally you could issue a small claim for the difference being £1500

Alex Watts :

You can do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Alex Watts :