Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

What happens if a person gets a crime reference number off

Customer Question

what happens if a person gets a crime reference number off the police for someone damaging their car only very minor damage i should say and the person who hit their car gave insurance details after a few hours of the scene of the car collision,it was in a private car park not on a public road.can the person be prosecuted for failing to stop/report a accident.but the car hit in question didnt have anyone inside,it was just parked.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What happens in relation to what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as in will the police question the person who hit in to the owners car or will the police ask for a update to see if any new information has come to light eg.if the person later on gives his insurance details to the car owner
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do police ask a car owner whos car has been hit in a fail to stop accident a update in circumstances eg.do police ask car owner if the person who hit in to owners car come forward with insurance details....no one was at the scene of my accident and couldnt find the owner or where they lived so i just drove off,i found out the car owner reported it to the police straight away and i seen her some hours later and gave my insurance details and apologised to her,will the police drop their investigation in to the accident or will they still question me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, usually they would do that.
But if they know the owner is then surely they know who's car has been hit anyway?
Yes, they certainly would ask the owner if the other person had exchanged details.
They may question you. If she has reported it then probably they would.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if at the time the owner says details were not exchanged but then after a few hours they were.....would police ask the victim that?or would they not care if details were eventually exchanged.im really worried because i only exchanged details AFTER the car owner reported it to the police
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you didn't report to the police within that three hour period and there was an opportunity to do so then that is failing to stop and report.
It is not likely that they would prosecute it in the circumstances for the reasons explained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
them reasons being me exchanging details a few hours later?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, not in the public interest.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the police need to speak to me and im not in a few times do they phone me or go to my parents house (where i lived previously) and can they get my telephone number off my car insurance company) or will they just leave a card/note through my
letterbox
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Usually they just leave a calling card through your letterbox.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is failing to stop and failing to report a accident seperate offences or can one charge be dropped if a person pleass guilty if summonsed to court and would it be A NiP through the post for driving offences or a summomse
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Two offended but card can be dropped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if the car owner has cctv of me reversing in to her car and trying to clean off the car paint from my car and driving off from the scene is that a arrestable offence does it fall in the fail to stop category and will the police usually drop the case if ive eventually exchanged details with car owner
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, there are no guarantees but probably.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so now your saying that im most likely going to be arrested/summoned for it....bit worried now.wouldnt the police know i eventually handed over my details to the car owner a few hours later or will they still want to do me for it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, that is not what I am saying.
I am saying that there are no guarantees but probably they will not summons for the reasons above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
isnt it seen as criminal damage or perverting the course of justice when i was seen on cctv trying to wipe off my car because of the other cars paintwork
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, it is a driving without due care and a failing to stop and report.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so there is absolutely no way it is a arrestable offence because no1 was injured or even in the car
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Failing to stop and report and driving without due care do not carry the power of arrest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how many points am i likely to get or will it not come to that in my particular circumstances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so the most that MAY happen is a summons and is that by post or would the police wish to speak to me at my house before issuing a summons and how much points am i likely to get IF by chance i get prosectuted
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Failing to stop and report carries 5-10 points or a potential ban, costs, the victim surcharge and compensation. There is no legal aid I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would the police want to speak to me first regarding a failure to stopand get my side of the incident or do they just issue summons.and is it still a failure to report a accident if i exchanged details WITH the CARS OWNER a few hours after the accident eg.seeing her by her car a few hours later
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends really.
They may. They may just summons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is a low level minor car park reverse accident not a serious thing,will the police only investigate a public road hit or a private car park hit aswell.it was very very minor damage to the other persons car and i didnt see the car owner so couldnt exhange details and didnt know the address of the owner but randomly seen her few hours later on the same day.will the police be satisfied with that and not ask me at my home address about the incident
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, it isn\t particularly serious.
I think I've really covered your other points. This is an offence. It is probably not one that will be prosecuted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can you be so sure it cant be prosecuted for,surely it doesnt matter if the damage is minor or major isnt it still a arrestable offence eg.failing to stop for accident and failing to report.you seem very sure thats it does not carry the power of arrest
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I didn't say you couldn't be prosecuted. In fact, I said that you could. It is an offence.
It is not likely that you would be for the reasons I have explained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the main reasons being? sorry
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not in the public interest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because it was minir damage is that the main reason? and thank you so much
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, not really.
Minor damage is a factor but also you have exchanged details before the police spoke to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how will police know ive exchanged details with owner?do they ask victim and want updates wont they just summons me or come to me first
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would they ask the owner again for a update eg.if i gave my details a few hours later
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No probably not.
It would be down to the owner to tell them as I have said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im really upset so the police wont even have a clue that i exchanged details with the car owner????im so scared im going to be arrested now surely the police would ask the owner if ive kum forward or if they want her to go ahead with a case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it still falls in the no power of arrest and not in public intrest caregory?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I think I have really covered this above and I am concerned about wasting your time by repeating myself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your not wasting my time please answer both above paragraphs and they will be my last questions
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
1 No probably not.
2 As I have said, it does not carry the power of arrest on the facts above and it is not likely to meet the public interest test.