Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Is failing to report a minor carpark reverse accident an arrestable

Customer Question

is failing to report a minor carpark reverse accident an arrestable offence
Category: Traffic Law
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well my husband accidently hit the bumper of another car while he was reversing in a car park at our home and he could not see the owner and did not know where the cars owner lived so he drove off and a little while later (a few hours) he seen the car owner who approached him and said someone seen me him and informed her which lead to the car owner tellin the police.my husband admitted responsibility to her and said sorry and gave her his details and insurance.he would have reported it to the police if he didnt see her that day.what can happen now will he get served a postal requesition or will the case be closed.
There is an outside chance that they could summons him for failing to stop and report but they will not.
Technically this is failing to stop and report because you are supposed to report as soon as possible and he did not.
It will not be prosecuted though. He made contact with her within 24 hours and it is just plain not in the public interest.
The only way they may summons is if they do not know about the transfer of details but that will falls away as soon as they do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay will it not matter that he bumped in to her by chance and explained the situation and didnt actually intend to see her at that moment eg.knock on doors around the area or wait by her car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
?
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as in he randomly seen the car owner by chance and didnt actually wait by the scene like he was suppose to will that not make any difference
No.
This is failing to stop and report.
It will not probably be prosecuted for the reasons above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does breaching a restraining order carry any minimum prison sentence?
You will need to ask another question about that as it is dissimilar to the one above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok