75100385

I am the owner of a motor vehicle which my mother in law was

Customer Question

I am the owner of a motor vehicle which my mother in law was driving yesterday. She is a named driver on my insurance policy.
She was involved in a road incident yesterday ( apparently minor damage to other vehicle) but was subsequently arrested on a drink driving suspicion. She was released and is due to appear in court on the 28th May.
The other party has now filed an insurance claim and my insurer has contacted me on this. I would like to know the following :
- What is the likelihood that the insurance will pay out the 3rd party given the drink driving circumstances?
- Do we have to follow this process via insurance or are we able to pay for this out of pocket to avoid loss of no claims
- What do we need to do if we are able to proceed with what I have asked for above?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Did you report this to your insurers? Is the person going to plead guilty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex

The other party has sent a claim to their insurance who in turn contacted us today ( the insurer is the same company I believe, for both parties )

I believe the person will plead guilty based on the current evidence.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Who was arrested for drink driving the other party or person driving yours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was my mother in law who was arrested - the person driving mine.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Yes they will pay out as it was not the third parties fault.
You can do this yourself, but you would also need to declare it when you renew even if not claimed.
Just speak to their insurers and ask about the cost of settling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Alex

Thanks for the response.

The driver ( my mother in law ) will be taken off the policy shortly as we no longer require her to drive the car and the policy is in my wife's name.

When it comes to renewal or changing insurer, would we still need to then disclose, given that she is no longer a driver on the policy?

Justin

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Because the question will be have you made any claim on the insurance.
I am sorry.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.