Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I'm concerned about a near miss traffic accident and

I'm concerned about a near miss traffic accident and wonder if you could help. I was travelling on the motorway when the road started to narrow to two lanes, so I indicated and moved into the central lane with no problem. I then realised that the lane I was in was also closing so again indicating, I pulled into the inside lane in front of a lorry. I believe there was enough room for me to make this manouvre however the lorry hit their horn for a long period of time and flashed their lights at me. We did not collide so I did not stop, as would be required had an accident taken place. I am now concerned that the other driver may report my driving as careless and that I will be in trouble for not stopping at the time of the near miss. I called 101 when I got home and was advised that as there was no collision, I do not need to report to the police, but I'm still worried I may be in trouble for the near miss. Can you advise where I stand on this? Thanks.
Category: Traffic Law
No. If there is no collision there is no need to report.
They may complain about careless driving but generally the police don't act upon that.
They may lie and say there was a collision. People do lie to the police sometimes although there are other offences that are easier to allege falsely than this. If they do then you would have to defend on the basis that there wasn't an accident. Your report to 101 would be helpful in that it would at least confirm that this was what you were saying very quickly after the incident.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jo. I have taken photographs of my car to prove that there is no damage in case the other party claims there was an accident - as it was a much larger lorry there is no way that a collision- had there been one - would not have resulted in damage to my car so hopefully this will be enough proof, should it come to this. I was just worried that I would be in trouble for not stopping and just wanted to make sure my actions were ok. Thanks again.