Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I want a second opinion on a previous question,can another

Customer Question

i want a second opinion on a previous question,can another solictor help me NOT jo c
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i didnt report a car park minor bump to the owner because i didnt know who she was can i still get in trouble and if i saw her a few hours after the accident would that stop police from charging me/trying to charge me for failing to report a accident?as in if the car owner reported it to the police before i managed to speak to her and exchange details
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Did you stop immediately at the scene or leave your details on the windscreen perhaps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but i did manage to bump in to the car owner a few hours later and give my details and apologise to her
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
That would not be a defence to fail to stop/report an accident.
The duty is on you the driver to stop and make reasonable enquiries to ascertain the owner of the other vehicle. If that person cannot be identified then you are required to report that incident to the police within 24 hours.
The mere coincidence of bumping into the other person and exchanging details is helpful but unlikely to be a defence if you are prosecuted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but its been over a month ive had no letters or no summons or nip....
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You might not be prosecuted in that case.
But remember the time limit for a prosecution is 6 months from the date of the offence.
If no NIP was sent out within a couple of weeks then you might well not be prosecuted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or is it because police take time investigating these incidents or maybe its not in the public intrest?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
The public interest aspect is not an issue unless an investigation is already underway. There could be a number of possibilities: 1. The matter was not reported to police or 2. The police have decided that no crime has been committed or 3. They have decided your coincidental meeting absolves you of the need to report the incident. Difficult to say exactly what the position is but usually you would have heard something after a month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the car owner reported it to the police BEFORE i spoke to her because she didnt know who i was and thought i tried to get away with hitting her car when infact i only live 4doors away from her (the same road) but she thought i wasnt from the area and she called the police,would the police have contacted the car owner after she reported the incident eg.to see if i had infact came forward and exchanged details with the car owner or will they just straight away carry out enquiries at my address or with my car insurer etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?