Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I received court summons on dual carriageway

Hi, I received court summons for speeding on dual carriageway and acc to statement there is no evidence confirming it other than Officer statement saying he was doing 110mph.... No device used no other witness... Is that sufficient as I thought that the speeding offences have to be supported by at least two witnesses...
I was stopped by the officer but I never accepted the speeding...
Category: Traffic Law
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with thaaa
The evidence will be prior opinion from the officer supported either by a VASCAR device in his car or the reading from his own speedometer as he travelled alongside or behind you.
This was the way that speeding offences were always detected before technology moved on although it is not so accurate as a GATSO device and therefore the speeds proportionate to the limit need to be higher.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there was no device at all just him stating his speed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I mean no supporting evidence whatsoever and that is why I wanted to know if his statement itself would be sufficient
There is supporting evidence. He will be saying he ascertained your speed from his own speedometer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure, but is one witness only enough? Can I request any certification of his speedometer that would guarantee the reading as correct? What if my speedo showed 70?
Yes, one witness is enough. That is how these offences were always prosecuted before GATSOs became widespread.
Yes, you can request that. To do that you would need to plead not guilty at court and set it down for a trial, submit a defence statement setting out your defence which prompts that specific disclosure. Then if you plead or lose after a trial though you would be facing an onerous costs order.
Realistically, the Bench are going to accept his evidence. This is 110mph. There is not much room for error.