Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

There. I recently got stopped by the police in the UK.

Customer Question

Hi there. I recently got stopped by the police in the UK. They are attempting to prosocute me for driving on a USA lisence after being in the country for less than 6 months infact only 3-4 months. I reside in the USA. Can you please explain the law on
this?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do they accept you were only here for three to four months?
I'm due in court this morning so I might not respond until 10 am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have to I have my USA passport to prove it!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, sadly that doesn't necessarily prove anything these days.
Are they saying your licence isn't valid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my USA lisence is totally valid...... look can you just tell me the time frame you are allowed to drive on a USA lisence in the UK if your usually resident in the USA?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is not that simple. There must be more to this.
You can drive on a foreign licence for up to six months but there will be more to this than that.
The crown do bring silly prosecutions sometimes although mostly those are sexual offences and domestic twaddle. It is rare they bring a case where there is just no evidence at all involving road traffic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are saying because I lived in the UK prior 3 years before that that because I have a provisional UK lisence that it overrides my full american one even though I have not been in the country for longer than 6 months over the past 3 years.......
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That makes sense.
If you have a UK provisional then that does indeed over rides foreign entitlements.
That is the basis for this.
Sorry if that is bad news.