Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I've received my first speeding offence in 20 years and I'm

Customer Question

I've received my first speeding offence in 20 years and I'm truly mortified. I was caught speeding 61mph in a 40mph zone on a dual carriageway where the speed limit drops from the national limit down to 40mph. I'm signing the notification of intended prosecution but I'm worried what will happen next. Can you help me with regards ***** ***** next part of the process. Will I loose my license?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there any reason you think you might?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only half of the question came through can you resend it please.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry. It doesn't really matter.
You won't lose your licence.
if this is 61 mph in a 40 mph zone then you are in the middle of the middle sentencing bracket which recommends 4-6 points or a ban of between 7 - 28 days.
They almost never ban immediately unless there were aggravating features like workmen on site or something similar to that. I would expect 4- 5 points.
Since you have had your licence for more than 2 years it wouldn't matter even if you got 6 points as you are not a new driver so not at risk of revocation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I need to go to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can plead by post but it is a good idea to go to make representations upon any ban they are considering.
Although if you stayed away you would avoid a ban.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy with the points so if they can me points on my license would that be the end of it and I wouldn't have to go to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, you can plead by post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I just send back the NIP will they write to me to tell me about what points they are going to give me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No.
They will write back offering a fixed penalty or an awareness course. If you try to accept they will probably withdraw that and summons though as they will realise the speed. If they do not notice then that is wonderful.
Nobody will tell you what sentence will be imposed until you are sentenced.