Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Can you please advise on what to expect 71mph

Hello - Can you please advise on what to expect for doing 71mph in a variable motorway speed restriction set at 40mph on the M42
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other points please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 3 points for speeding on the motorway

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How long have you been driving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

25 years

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.
If this is a 70mph in a 40 mph zone then it falls within the highest sentencing bracket which carries 6 points or a ban. They won't ban. This is a motorway and although there was a reduction it still doesn't really contain any vulnerable road users. They will add 6 points.
If you only have 3 other points that would take you to 9 so you will not face totting.
If you have been driving for more than 2 years then you don't need to worry about being revoked immediately as a new driver.
There will also be a fine of between 75-125% of your weekly income, costs of £85, a court charge of £180 and the victim surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

REALLY !

Scum sucking B*astards. This is a motorway.

Thanks for the advice anyway. Would they be more lenient depending on the magistrate.

Would a solicitor help to reduce this also?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sentences do vary but these are sentencing guidelines so they are probably not going to change all that much.
Representation can only help but it will rack up cost and it is very unlikely that the outcome would vary from these brackets.
Come what may, motorway or not, this is 40 mph zone and you were doing in excess of 70 mph which is what determines the sentence.