Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Is the introduction of having to pay parking fees by phone

Is the introduction of having to pay parking fees by phone and or credit cards discriminating against people who have a speech or hearing impediment, or people who do not have a credit card is in breach of Human Rights and Equality Acts and possibly Road Traffic Act 1984
Category: Traffic Law
No. You can pay by text so those with hearing and speech problems would have no difficulty.
Those who do not have a credit card are no protected under the HRA. The HRA does not cover the right to choose or not to have a credit or debit card.
The Equality Act does not extend to the issue of banking choices.
I'm not sure why the RTA 1984 would be engaged on this basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The scheme in question requires you to have a mobile phone in the first place, an e-mail address, a bank account and credit card, many older people do not have IT facilities or debit or credit cards in order to keep out of debt and they certainly would not want to give details of their bank account to a third party even if they had one

Yes, I do see that.
But it doesn't offend under the HRA or the Equalities Act.
People are free to acquire mobile phones. Being elderly does not prevent that. Therefore it is not an ageist issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many elderly people are unable to deal with modern technology, and would be unable to either see or understand a mobile phone. It is a fact that arthritis gets in your joints as you get older that is why many elderly people struggle to turn taps. jars etc so wouldn't be able to manage the small digits on a mobile phone. Surely they must be a section of the population who are being discriminated against?

I'm really sorry but I cannot agree they are unable.
They are protected from discrimination on the basis of age but this is not discrimination on the basis of age. They are as free as anybody else to have a mobile phone and many do