Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My wife has received an "out of court settlement letter" from

My wife has received an "out of court settlement letter" from dvla for £319.00 for the car being seen on a road whilst untaxed. This may not be disputed by her but should the dvla have issued her with a "last chance letter" advising her her road licence had expired and that she should renew it immediately. She never received a reminder about renewing, which I understand is a complimentary service and shouldn't be relied on, and never received any "last chance letter" either. Is the amount correct and is there any blame on dvla part?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
I'm very sorry but this is not a challenge. It would have been helpful if they had issued a reminder and they used to. Sometimes they still do.
However, they did not here and there is no way around the fact that she is under a duty to maintain tax and the obligation is hers.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the responsibility is my wife's I was just wondering if there was a responsibility on the dvla to issue a "last chance" letter which they mention on their own website that you can renew your tax with. Why would they offer that facility if they don't issue the letter? Also, is the amount correct, it seems rather high?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not in law.
It would be helpful and they used to do it as a courtesy but it is no more.
The amount is an out of court offer. It would be much higher at court I'm afraid.