Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I've been charged with a speed camera offence 54 in a 50.

Customer Question

I've been charged with a speed camera offence 54 in a 50. I asked for a photograph which they have sent me. It just shows the car. There are no lines visible on the road. I thought they had to have two pictures at a specific timed interval showing the road markings which would then allow aspeed calculation. They state in theri evidence that they have used the photo. Is such a photo valid? please
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you speeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. The alleged speed is close to the speed limit, I really don't know.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They don't need the road markings I'm afraid. They just need two specific points on the ground to measure speed.

Given the low speed I would have expected this was a GATSO device as other devices tend not to be so accurate. The downside of that is that GATSOs are fairly accurate.

You can always put them to proof upon whether or not they do have an accurate measurement using two fixed points but if you lose then you run the risk of costs I'm afraid.