Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

My daughter has been issued with a Parking Charge notice from

Customer Question

My daughter has been issued with a Parking Charge notice from when she parked her car for a short period at the Holiday Inn at Heathrow. This has been issued by a company called Parking Eye and states that it is private land. I was with her at the time, and I did not see the "clear signage" to which they refer.
My question is, is this fine enforceable, because I have heard of incidences in the past that private parking companies such as this use intimidation tactics, but the fine is unenforceable.
There is a complication, in that her car is a lease vehicle, so we were sent the letter via Citroen, who have said that if we do not pay within 28 days, they will do so, and forward the costs to us plus an admin charge. I do not think that the £100 for which they are asking is in any way justified.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you are liable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My question is whether this is a legitimate fine? I am concerned that with the fact that a leasing company is the registered keeper, if I do not pay it on the basis that I believe that it is unenforceable, Citroen will pay it automatically through their process, and then charge me the fine plus their admin fee. Are parking fines levied by private companies generally enforceable?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that your concern is well founded. If you don't pay the registered keeper will just pay it and claim from you. You need to check the contract that you have with them but almost certainly they are free to do that.

In addition to that, despite what you read on the Internet these fines are very definitely enforceable. At least, it is right to say that they are not fines. They are invoices arising from the civil dispute. However, these claims are enforceable and always have been. The reason that they are often ones that can be escaped is that they involve a sum that is not worth litigation and so these companies do not sue.

I'm afraid that the sum of the loss point that used to be made in relation to the value of these fines has fallen away now in a case called Beavis which remains the law until it is overturned.

I would normally tell you not to pay and to ignore them but I'm afraid that will not succeed if this is a lease car.

Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.