Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Need some advice please Got stopped red light

Customer Question

Need some advice please
Got stopped for jumping red light on 19th August 2015
Received notice dated 1st October 2015 offering the option of attending "Whats driving us scheme" or fixed penalty of £100 and three points or request court hearing.
can I reply that I did not receive this notice within 14 day and therefore decline to accept the notice
Thanks Andrew
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you stopped and spoken to at scene ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I was stopped and spoken to at the scene

I was just handed a green slip of paper that told me to take no action until I heard from them should they decided to take further action and that I may hear nothing if the cps decided not to proceed

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you were stopped and scene then I'm afraid this challenge does not arise.
They have to either stop a driver and issue a verbal NIP or send one out within 14 days by post. Had they not stopped you then this would have been a challenge but that didn't happen so it falls away.
There is no real way of sugar coating this. They are not under a duty to act within 14 days.
The only other time limit is that they have to lay an information before the court within six months of the offence and they do sometimes forget but obviously they have time left to do that.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
All the best.