LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  I am a solicitor with particular expertise in road traffic law.
76316425

I received a conditional offer of a fixed penalty £100 3point

Customer Question

Hi I received a conditional offer of a fixed penalty £100 3point offer. I caught doing 90mph in on a national speed limit motorway by police. Is there anyway I can get out of the points and just pay the fine? alternatively maybe be put forward for a speed awareness course..
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
The short answer is probably not. If you accept the FPN then you will get the points and the fine. If you go to court then may be you can defend the case if you find some error on the prosecution side but there is no way of checking in advance. If you plead guilty at court or are found guilty it will cost you considerably more than £100.00 and you will get 3 points.
Do you accept that you were speeding? I assume you were not in some sort of emergency situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do accept that i was speeding. Thing is im a chauffeur and was in a situation wherby my client was late. Not an emergency though. I heard there was a special letter that if presented in court gets you out of the points. The officer also said as im on the job he will reccomend i go speed awareness course instead. Thing is ive done a course before but im not sure when. At least a few years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also its a met letter not a fine letter if that helps. Act was commited on 8/9, letter dated 15/10. Any room for error on there part?
There is always room for error but they have done this within time and unless you want to take a chance on having some sort of technical defence which it will not be a possible to anticipate you might think it is a good idea to accept the offer.