Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I think i have run through a red light. I have a European

Customer Question

I think i have run through a red light. I have a European License. The car is under my wife's name. If she gets the NIP (we have not received it yet), what is the best way to indentify myself with my European License? Should she send the NIP filled with my details and together with form D9 as, or by just sending the license, a parallel file for my license will be opened in the UK? How many points would be taken from the license? Tx
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How long have you been resident in the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should we switch to live phone call?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not if you don't want to. Online is fine.
Have you renewed your licence or exchanged it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
She needs to respond to the NIP naming the driver. That is all she is asked to do. There is no need to do anything else at this stage.
Then they will write to you asking you to declare the driver's identity. You need to respond naming the driver.
Then they will either summons or offer you the red light awareness course if you are otherwise suitable.
S36 RTA only carries 3 points and a fine though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tx. should i register my license in the meantime or exchange it with a gb one, so that when i get contacted (if indeed there was an infraction), the process of taking points out of my license is easier? I heard that if the driver does not have a uk license, there is the risk of getting the european license disqualified. is that right? also why would they write to me to declare the driver's identity if my wife had already done that? shouldn't they send straight the penalty?tx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi still there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, yes. Lost my connection.If you are on a European licence then you are able to drive on it until you are 70. The rules must have changed recently. I find it surprising because they can't add points but ther you have it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you ready now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
All the best.