Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

There! i have got summons speeding. i was driving on 46 in 30MPH according to

Customer Question

Hi there! i have got summons for over speeding. i was driving on 46 in 30MPH according to police record. i started my journey from middle of the road where actually it was a two lane road heading towards a round about with no speed limits displayed. Bearing in mind that its a 40mph zone, i changed my road lane to take the appropriate exit from the round about. And was caught by police officer having mobile speed gun. How can i prove that it was good to seem as 40mph road? As there are too many roads similar to that one with the speed limit 40 and unfortunately it was***** What should i do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.
Are you asking if this is a defence?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
yes
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
??
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.
Was there a regular pattern of street lighting?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i am not sure
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
but there was a huge footpath in between two roads having two lanes on both sides
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.
We are going to need to get to the bottom of that.
There are only three automatic speed limits in the UK. The first is 30 mph in a restricted zone signed by street lights, the second is 60 mph in a single carriageway without street lights and the third is 70 mph on a motorway. If they want to vary those limits then they need authority from the Department of Transport and they need to erect signs that amount to ‘adequate guidance’ under S85 Road Traffic Act.
If there is adequate street lighting at this location then it is a 30mph zone.
If not then it is a 60mph zone unless there are contrary signs.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
plz check the photo of the road attached hereby
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
according to police record and transport of london's record the speed limit is 30 but my point is that it barely seems to be 40 with having no display of speed limit. the picture i have just sent you, will give you a clear view of the road.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.
That is a 30mph zone according to the signs unless there are signs to the contrary. There is a regular pattern of street lighting in the shot.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
there are no signs to the contrary.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 months ago.
Then the automatic limit would be 30 mph.
You can ask them to prove that is the actual limit rather than just th reading of the signs at the location but obviously if you lose you face the risk of costs.
I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i will definitely rate your profile and answers. but rather than the street light pattern signs is there any other way to prove that as it doesn't say any speed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
I have submitted an offer.