Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo My doughter has just been given 6 points

Customer Question

Hi Jo My doughter has just been given 6 points for failure to declare the driver amd fined £450 it was the same as the incedent i have just read on your site as she reacently moved house but when she went to court she named the driver as her partner but they fined her and gave her 6 points .this does not seem fair or just?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if this is a defence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i am asking if it is legal to be given six point for a non driving offence she did not fail to give details of the driver who was speeding her only mistake was forgetting to change address on her log book
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, failing to identify carries 6 points and a fine in roughly this region. Actually the financial penalty is the minimum as it would appear there was a trial.
She did fail to give this information. She may have provided it at court but she didn't respond to the S172 request which is the duty.
There may have been a defence in arguing that she didn't receive it but they are free to disbelieve that.
In terms of the sentence, this is actually the minimum for this type of offence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will this affect her insurance next year as it is a non driving offence or do they take advantage of busy working class people as well
cynical Dad
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends.
How many other points does she have?
I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your time
goodnight
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I need to know how many points she has?
If you would rather not say then I can tell the general truths. She will have to declare it and it will have an impact because these are points after all but it won't impact as much as speeding would as it isn't to do with the manner of her driving.